Sunday, February 23, 2014

Jesus Kids

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself polluted by the world. "
     -James 1:27

Since coming back to for this semester, my roommates and I have been visiting Jesus Kids, a home for disabled children. The woman who started the home saw a need, and acted on it. She is the kind of woman who exudes warmth and compassion. She seems to be always smiling, even with dirty diapers, drool and and other messes. She radiates the love that comes from God and had become a mother to the motherless. 

Her "children" range from several months to probably close in age to herself. Those who can talk endearingly call her, "mamma." I've gotten to know the kids a little better each time I go and also learn more about their stories. There's the adorable 2 year old, Abigail, who doesn't have any physical needs, but was sent to the home as a starving infant because her family couldn't take care of here. 

Some of the kids have families and others are completely orphaned. In a place where physical disabilities are a hindrance and looked down on, this woman has opened her home and heart to so many children. In fact, she doesn't view them as her own, but JESUS KIDS. 


This morning she was telling me that she's been trying to raise enough money to be able to rent the small building accross the street so that she can Lord willing, take in more children, but also have a place for the kids the do physical therapy. As it is, she takes around 6 of the kids several times a week for physical therapy, and it's quite expensive. I asked where most of we funding comes from and she sort gave a little laugh, and told me that it comes mostly from individuals, and some churches. 

How can I even explain the joy that this one hour with them brings. It's so little time, I wish I had more, but when we sing praise songs and hear their squeals of joy. Or watch them listening to the bible lesson, I just get teary eyed. They have so little, but I have never seen anyone complain. When we bring toys, their faces light up with the excitement of something new. 


I ask of your prayers for these children. I ask that if possible you prayerfully consider helping to support them. I would love to raise some money to help them out. I'll be heading back to the states in April for one of my best friend's wedding, so if you have anything to share please let me know. 

Blessings,

Liz


"Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing. But a curse will come upon those who close their eyes to poverty. "
      -Prov. 28:27

No comments:

Post a Comment