Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Detours

Roadblocks are inevitable.

The World often sees a small straight line to get from point A to point B, but God plans most often include a crazy, round about way of getting to the destination. Others may even find it crazy and wonder why we don't take the shorter route.

The longer route most likely will be filled with turns. We might get lost and most definitely will be late to our destination.

The other day I was following my GPS. It lead me down a road that had a large sign that read

ROAD CLOSED

There were no detour signs. No indication of which way to go, I only knew that I couldn't go forward. The path that my roadmap indicated, the one that I wanted to take had ended.


I knew that going forward would be the quickest way to my destination, but had I gone that way, it would have lead me to destruction.

I had to turn off from the way that was indicated. My GPS kept telling me to turn around. Make a U-Turn and Go Back!

The road I was supposed to take had looked fine, at least for a while it did. But what I couldn't see clearly at first glance was the missing bridge. From every appearance the road looked great except that it was abruptly lacking a necessary section.

We can't always see that the bridge is out and often fight against going the longer route. Growth in our lives doesn't come in the persistence of going the shorter route.

In our lives, often we're told to "Just keep pushing forward." "Don't give up, if you work hard enough you can reach you're goal." But this isn't right. Continuing to drive when the road is clearly close, would be detrimental.

When we try to continue along the shorter path, we miss what God really has for use. It may be a more scenic route, and to be sure, there will be steep hills, potholes and windy roads. We may even hit dead and and have to turn around(which happened to me several times while trying to navigate my way back to the road I wanted to get to).

It's the roadblocks and windy roads that build our character. Through them we must trust Him in following a new path. Maybe not the one marked  out on the map, but He will take us to the right destination.


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross,scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment