Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Go to the Ants

I've been tryin to post this for a couple of days, but alas, the internet doesn't always work so well. I'll try it again!

Oh the irony. Tonight I've been working on my presentation for tomorrow's assembly. Guess what The talk's on...Ants!

Several weeks ago I stumbled accross a video of an incredible concrete ant colony. Scientists poured concrete down an abandoned ant colony and found some incredible things. 

The entire colony was a network of tunnels and rooms
As they dug away, they found a massive colony. 
Incredible!!

The more I've looked up ants, the more awed I've become. In an experiment, this Asian Weaver Ant carried over 100 times it's body weight!

Also, in the entire world, there are over 12,000 different species of ants and scientists are always discovering more. 

The irony occurred while I was sitting cross-legged at the coffee table in our living room. I kept exclaiming, "wow, this is incredible!" " woah, check this out.." As the word were leaving my mouth, a large ant scurried accross my toes and my immediate reflexes were to smash the pesky little bug. 

These pesky little things are actually mentioned several times in the Bible, not as pesks, but as something to learn from. 

"Lazy people should learn a lesson from the way ants live. They have no leader, chief, or ruler, but they store up their food during the summer, getting ready for the winter. " -Prov. 6:6-8

"There are four animals in the world that are small but very clever:
Ants: they are weak, but they store up their food in the summer. "
Prov. 30:24-25

As I said in an earlier post, the ants are out now. I found this trail of fast moving ants while running the other day. Mili can actually hear the ants because there are so many marching at once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment