Friday, September 13, 2013

On a run

Most days are spent on the compound. After having over a half an hour commute for the past several years, it is incredible to be able to live a few steps away from where I work. However, the luxury of living on a compound can get stifling at times when there's only so much you can do within the walls.

Thankfully I've gotten the chance to continue running since I've been here. Now the petrol fumes and dusk can get overwhelming, but I'm so grateful for the chance to remain active and run off the stress. 

We don't have neighborhoods, but we do have little side roads that we run on. Small compounds back up to these roads, and usually there's someone sitting at each gate or people getting water at the spigots that are on the side of walls, but for the most part, it's much less crowded than the busy roads. 

Today while running I took my phone to clock the mileage, but also was able to sneak some pictures in. So let me also apologize right now for the fact that the pictures are crooked... I was running at the time that I took these. 
Notice the men wearing the traditional Ankara fabric. Instead of "casual Fridays" it is a nation-wide trend to wear Ankara on Fridays. 
The "sidewalk" is made out of mud and only walkable in some spots.

Sometimes it can actually be quite beautiful!
I tried to get a picture when I walked through the gate, but I guess it didn't take. There were several women with buckets of water on their heads. (Sorry for my headphones in the way)
Usually there aren't this many cars, but I think there was something special today, or maybe just on Fridays. 
The little children always wave and day hello

Sometimes the roads are paws, and sometimes they're made of dirt.


This is the end of the run, so then I have to turn around and go back the way I came.

Check out the fan shaped palm tree! I though it looked so cool. 
The men sitting at the gates

And back through the gate to the main road.
There are small booths around the gate that sell grilled corn and plantains. 
And other things...hmm... I'm really not sure what exactly. 
Ahh, now for the view of the city... Ibadan!!

Love you all!

-Liz




No comments:

Post a Comment