Monday, March 3, 2014

Baby Naming

Today I went to my fist baby naming ceremony. I intended to go to one last semester, but at that point I was new to Nigeria and didn't realize that when an event says that it starts at 5:00 it could be an hour later before it actually begins.

This time, I went with a group of my fellow teachers. Abigail, the aid for 4th-6th grade, had a baby last week. Here, they don't announce the name of their child for a week or two. A lot of effort goes into the naming of the child. Often family members are allowed to give a name. 

When they do choose the names, they have  a big party with a pastor, praying, and singing. In typical Nigerian fashion, every even is accompanied with food as well. Every guest got a pack of food, Jollaf rice, to take home. 

So what is this cute, curly haired little boy's name?

It's: Montunbolade, Michaelangelo, Oluwanifise, Oluwaferanmi, Oriniyin, Oluwafunmibi, Oluwapamilerin, Kendrick, Eden, Jose, Akanbi 

"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold."

Proverbs 22:1

No comments:

Post a Comment