Thursday, March 13, 2014

the little graces



My class is such an extraordinary mix of so many fun(and occasionally frustrating) personalities. At the end of the day, sometimes, my mind chooses to dwell on the difficulties of the day, rather than the blessings. 

The other day, we started the class looking at the verse, "Do everything without complaining or arguing." -Phil. 2:14

As much as I thought my kids needed to hear that verse, I needed it just as much. Complaining tends to take our focus away from the small gifts that God has placed in front of us. We walk around like a horse with blinders, not willing to focus and not even wanting to see those little graces that God has placed all around us. 

What do we need to do for our eyes to be opened? How to we stop the downward spiral of discontentment and complaining from overwhelming us? It takes slowing down from the busyness of the day to focus on the good things.

I want to ask for prayer for myself and my class. I daily need wisdom with how to handle the small outbreaks in class.  As sixth graders, they're at such a transitional age where they want to be adults, but still act like little kids. Lately there have been so many petty arguments as well as instances of bullying. I want to ask for prayer for peace in my classroom as well as for Love to be the ruling factor and not hatred.  I also ask for prayer that my response would not be out of frustration or anger towards them. Again, it's the blind eyes that keep me from seeing the good things that happen all throughout the day.

There are so many cultures and religions represented in my class and I get the chance each morning to share the gospel with them. I want them to know that they have a Savior who cares for them so much that, unlike the other religions, they don't have to do  a list of things for God to love them. 

Sometimes I feel as if my words fall on deaf ears, but I know that even in those instances, God's hand is at work.

Isaiah 55:11
It is the same with my word.
    I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
    and it will prosper everywhere I send it. 

Other times I feel like I have to be the one to change them. That I am responsible for their souls, as if it was up  me. I have to completely lay my heart before God to realize that He is the one who changes hearts and not me. Knowing that, my battle should be done through prayer and not in the classroom. I ask for you to join arms with me in prayer to fight for the lives of my students. 

Blessings,

Liz

"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." -I Thes. 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment