Saturday, March 8, 2014

Fast from Facebook



I feel as if I must give my anti social media Facebook spiel. I never thought I would say this, but it is time that I got off the world of Facebook for a while. Several years ago, when one of my good friends was living in Europe, she deleted her Facebook account. As a friend back home, I was disappointing because that was my way of communicating with her, but I completely understand now.

Facebook has become something that is unhealthy in my life. I apologize if this was your way of keeping in touch with me, but let me just list 5 little reasons why I will be fasting from Facebook for lent, and possibly beyond.

1. Time Zone. When I go onto Facebook in the morning, I'm just seeing what all of my friends did the previous evening. It's like getting yesterday's news a day late. When I go on at night, most people are at work, and the only ones who are on Facebook, are usually posting some silly article or survey to find out "What Disney character are you most like?" or something to that effect. In other words, junk.

2. It makes me feel icky. Just the other day, I was reading the following in my devotion book, Jesus Calling.

 "Stop judging yourself and evaluating yourself, for this is not your role. Above all else, stop comparing yourself to other people. This produces feelings of pride or inferiority; sometimes a mixture of both."

That very afternoon, I got on Facebook, and within seconds I felt crushed and pretty worthless. Seconds. That's all it took for me to go from having a pretty great day to feeling awful. I don't want to judge myself by others, or feel less valued because God has brought me to live somewhere so completely different than anywhere else.

3. Time. I end up wasting so much time that could be spend doing something more productive. If I am spending more time on social media sites, than I am spending in the Word, or in prayer, then I have a problem.

4. Facebook is not the real deal. I realized that I get on Facebook when I'm most missing family and friends back home, and guess what, it only makes me miss people that much more. Which in my case this = Liz is sad, Liz goes on Facebook and gets even more sad. Ahh, thanks for the help.

5. Living in the Moment.  Be all there. I want to be satisfied with where I am, not longing for something else or something yet to come. For years, I've struggled with being able to live and take joy in my present circumstances, without trying to look forward to the future, thinking it's going to be better than what I already have been given.

"Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." 
 -Jim Elliot 

Did you know that wikiHow actually has an article to help people who are recovery Facebookers?

Now, in no way to do I believe that everyone should leave Facebook immediately because it is the root of all kinds of evils. But I just wanted to let you, my friends, know why I will be taking a break from it.

Thanks for the understanding, and if you ever need to reach me, you can email or text me :)
email: etathtebazile@gmail.com

Blessings,

Liz

1 comment:

  1. Blessing to you Elizabeth! I know you will have a blessed Lent and Easter season. Know you are missed here in SC, but I know God is doing great things in your life there. Blessings to you!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete